Gluten-Free Ethiopian chocolate chip cookies are a favorite here at Celestial Sweets. We use an Ethiopian Cheri Station coffee roasted locally by the amazing guys at Black Cup.
Their website describes the coffee as having high aromatics, blueberry, citrus, chocolate, complex, and full mouth-feel. The notes in the coffee really enhance the 65% bittersweet chocolate used in the cookies. If you love chocolate this is an added bonus.
Gluten-free is everywhere these days. While I know it is no laughing matter for those who have serious conditions like Celiac disease, I have to giggle when I see that my shampoo is now gluten-free as well.
When done right, gluten-free desserts can sometimes be close to or better than the original. From the brown butter of a Financier cake to the melt in your mouth streusel topping for pies & crisps, maybe it’s the butter that’s making it better? I’m not a huge fan of chocolate, (gasp) but there is something about these Ethiopian chocolate chip cookies that I love. It’s probably the coffee, since I do LOVE me some coffee. The texture is the other thing I really enjoy about this recipe, almost like a Chips Ahoy cookie. It’s crispy, but definitely not over baked, sandy and buttery spiked with bits of salty, cinnamon-y coffee deliciousness & there’s chocolate too.
This recipe is straight from the back of the Toll House chocolate chip bag, but with a few of my flavor, temperature & mixing adjustments. Enjoy!
- 1 c unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs-room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Espresso ground Cheri Station Ethiopian coffee
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 2 1/4 c Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars. SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE VARIATION: PREPARE dough as above. Divide in half; wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Shape each half into 15-inch log; wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.* Preheat oven to 375° F. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies. * May be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 8 weeks.
- COMBINE flour, baking soda, cinnamon, coffee and salt in small bowl.
- With a paddle attachment beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture and morsels. Be careful not to overmix because gluten free flour can become more "glutenous" or gummy if over mixed.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.